Taylor's R/C Boatyard


Home Up Atlantis Schooner Baltimore Clipper Valdivia Schooner Some static models Stars & Stripes Goodspeed42 Links Page

BC Build page 1 ] BC Build page 2 ] BC Build page 3 ] [ BC Build page 4 ] BC Build page 5 ] BC Build page 6 ] Baltimore Clipper Sailing ]

The Baltimore Clipper Schooner R/C Sailboat - Conversion Diary Page 4

 1/25/09 - Added a bow-sprite chain plate, in addition to the existing tie-down.

1/31/09 - Before and after shots of oiling the Teak lining the interior of the bulwarks.

2/1/09 - 3/1/09 - Hull painting.

3/7/09 - 3/15/09 - Added the wooden sections of the bulwarks,  completed the anchor beam and added the wooden build-up on the bow.  A change I made here was to do away with the removable bow-sprite and anchor everything more securely for the jib-boom.

3/16/09 - 3/18/09  - Rubbed Teak Oil in to the wooden bulwarks, added the dead-eyes and chains to the chain-plates.  The middle picture shows the chain-plate design from the Valdivia, the two pics to the right show my design with chain stays. The last one is just a nice over-all picture of progress.

3/19/09 - 3/29/09  -  Started the Hatch covers/ Cabin Superstructure, the cabin in the background is from the completed Valdivia.  I wanted to see if there were any changes I wanted to make to the new one as I was putting it together. I still need to paint the bell mount and stain the wood with Teak Oil.

4/3/09 -  Realized that I didn't have a picture of the drop-keel attached after everything got painted.

4/4/09 - 4/6/09 - Control Stand completed.

4/13/09 - 4/22/09 - Main Cabin / Hatch cover,  this is where I spliced together what was formally two separate hatches.

4/23/09 - 4/28/09 - All hatches in place, awaiting staining, and after applying Teak Oil to the Cabins / Hatch-covers.

5/21/09 - 6/1/09 -  Attached and "Blackened" the Bowsprit chain as well as the Channel chains,  simulated wood grain on the masts with ( I hate to admit) kitchen drawer contact paper (it's really vinyl).  Looks really good to me, just have to see how it holds up.

6/20/09 - 6/27/09 - Received in the anchors, they didn't include the cross-bar reinforcing rings that were pictured in the catalog, had to make my own.  Started assembling the mastheads.

6/27/09 - 7/10/09 -  Tried another mod, added protective bars to the skylights (I'll do the same with the other skylights soon),  painted the mastheads and topmasts,  added hardware to the mastheads.

7/15/09 - Now that there is no wide-spaced spreaders with stays running through them to keep the foremast masthead straight, I've had to lock-down the mast so it no longer pivots freely.

7/26/09 - 8/3/09 - Since the stays can't go all the way to the top masthead without blocking the topsail, I redid the upper mast stays to start at the lower masthead instead.