Atlantis Over-Haul

Recently I was contacted by Steve Beasley from the UK, who is a expert model builder and kit reviewer.  He was trying to gather what information there was from other builders of the Atlantis kit on the net. In his explorations for info he uncovered several sites which I was unaware of or were not around when I assembled my kit many years ago.  After seeing what some of these other builders had done with their boats, I got the itch to modify my own boat.

Modification 1: The Sails  (11/3/2005)

I had originally drawn the panel lines on the sails very faintly in pencil, where they were not even visible in a picture.  I have since seen that bolder lines looked much better to me, as well as adding the battens that I had originally left off.

Original faint lines.

Penciling in bold lines.

More lines complete.

Adding battens to sail.


Before lines.

After lines.

Plus battens.



Lines added.

Finished updating last sail.




Modification 1a: Gaff Boom support  (11/4/2005)

The line from the mast head to the gaff boom was not in the original plans, but I saw it elsewhere and thought it good to have.


Modification 2: The Deck  (11/3/2005)

I was always a little disappointed when it came to the deck, not with the quality of the kit, but that the effort that went into it not showing very well.  Then my friend Steve forwarded these pictures and I had an idea!

Could it be this simple?!

Then again, maybe it's not so simple. The planks on my deck are all curved to some degree, not like this one.

This is the effect I'm hoping to achieve.

So now I'm looking to pencil in "caulk lines" to make the individual planks stand out better.  In the following pictures, I'm testing different finishes to go over the pencil lines.  To the far left of my test sheet, I have applied the Robbe Wood Wax (supplied with the kit), as it is already on the deck of my model, then penciled the caulking, then applied more Wood Wax.  The next test over (middle), Robbe Wood Wax, pencil lines, then outdoor Spar Polyurethane (glossy finish).  The 3rd test strip is unused yet.

"Un-caulked" deck.

3 "decks" ready for testing.

Left side: more wood wax over pencil marks (matte finish). Right side: Spar Polyurethane (glossy finish).


Starting the penciling process for the deck.


Trying different camera angles to show the lines best.

About half-way done.


Expanding the caulking coverage.


     Sorry for the delay, been on vacation.

A little bit more done.

Just received these in.

This finish comes highly recommended, and also very expensive (to me at least, over $50 for 2 quarts), so hopefully it will be worth it.

My test board:

1. Left side - wood wax, pencil, more wood wax.

2. Middle- wood wax, pencil, satin finish spar urathane.

3. Right side - wood wax, pencil, ? (going to add the new Deks on this).


Finished penciling in the stern.

Caulking lines completed, now to see about sealing them in with a finish.




The directions say to apply a coat every 15 minutes for 6 hours, I didn't go quit that long. Then let dry for 3 days before applying Deks #2. That one will require 3 to 6 coats with at least a day between each coat!

First pass with the Deks.

Had some bubbles come up that went away with later coats.

Right hand side: Deks #1, matte finish.


Ok, the one on the far right is the Deks gloss finish. After all the application and drying times, it's taken about 2 weeks to finish the sample. It's not bad, but if I spent 2 weeks applying ANY finish, I'd expect it to turn out OK.

Modification 2b: The Deck  (12/18/2005)

Well, I took the plunge and started applying the finish to the deck.  The befores and afters don't show much difference at this stage since the Deks #1 is a matte finish. I need to wait at least 3 days before applying the Deks #2, gloss finish, and then can only apply one coat per day.







Well, Happy New Year!  I'm sure it looks like I forgot about finishing this project but it just got behind because of the holidays.  That, and the long drying times using the Deks.  I applied 5 coats of the Deks #2, with a day or two between each coat. Then noticed that I had a air-bubble problem, known as "Fish-eye", not enough to make the finish cloudy, but enough to make it bumpy. I read that other varnishes suggest thinning the mix for initial coats but the Deks Olje says nothing about this.  The instructions on the Deks can does talk about wet-sanding between coats 5 and 6 to give a smoother finish, so that's where I'm at now. Waiting for the Deks #1 that I wet-sanded with to knock down some of the bumps, to dry completely before applying the final glossy coat.

The bright dots are bumps from air-bubbles.

(Hard to photograph air-bubbles.)


Ok, I'm done.  Been applying this finish for almost a month now, and all told, I'd give it about a 6.5 or 7 out of 10.  The Deks Olje has some great qualities, but I think it takes someone with more experience applying varnish then myself to get the most out of it. Still had bubbles that I couldn't get out and some spots where there was excess glue from attaching something to the deck, the Deks would peel off with the masking tape.




Modification 3: The Sheet Loop Pulley  (11/7/2005)

One of the original pulleys still in place.

Taking the replacement down to small pieces to get it on the sheeting loop.

Better looking pully system.

Modification 4: Misc. Work  (12/14/2005)

Descided to do away with the old original boom vange.

And replace it with a expensive piece of Pekabe hardware that was sitting around in a drawer.

Replaced this old wiring block for the navigation lights.

With a larger block and putting connectors on the wire ends.


A little something I got for myself on my birthday, maybe now I'll have a better idea of how my boats are performing in different wind conditions!




back to Boatyard Main Menu